“We must make sure our young people have hope, our future is in their hands.”
Your Title Goes Here
Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.
The Kufuor Scholars Program (KSP)
Leadership is a critical element in a nation’s development, and every generation has a duty to secure the future by grooming its youth toward effective leadership roles. Successive generations of Ghanaian youth have been instrumental in the nation’s progress. As the country consolidates democratic governance and achieves the middle-income status, the readiness of the youth in assuming leadership roles will even be more crucial. However, a slack in youth leadership dynamism is increasingly evident, as their education is challenged by the rapidly changing local and global environment, which weakens the requisite values and orientation for effective leadership.
For Ghana’s resilience and progress, it is essential for the youth to build and sustain a strong sense of patriotism and positive nationalism, even as they become globalized. The capacity of the current generation of youth to transport the country into a future of stability, prosperity and sustained development in a globalized world is of prime concern. Indeed, the country’s survivability and viability in a competitive world will depend largely on the preparedness of the youth to lead and meet this challenge.
Accordingly, a new crop of leaders able to withstand the emerging challenge and respond to the ever-increasing demands of our time is imperative; leaders with character, integrity and unalloyed loyalty to the nation. The emerging order calls for specialized orientation and character formation for the youth as well as upgrading their knowledge and skills so as to be pacesetters in their respective fields of endeavour.
In response to the leadership challenge in Ghana and Africa, the John A. Kufuor Foundation, inspired by the founder’s vision, has instituted the Kufuor Scholars’ Program to provide the required specialized preparation for the Ghanaian youth. The program targets young people in tertiary institutions, who have completed at least one year of studies. The general and primary aim is to add value to the formal education at the tertiary level by providing specialized orientation through programmed mentorship, skills and experiential activities and annual stipends. Selected candidates will stay in the program for at least three years.
KSP is a three-year training program that offers selected candidates mentorship and coaching, stipend, and specialized seminars and experiential activities in defined areas such as:
- Citizenship and Civic Responsibility
- Interpersonal skills, Leadership skills, Leadership seminars & Camps
- Problem-solving, Research & Innovation
- Integrity & Accountability
- Corruption and Accountable Governance
- Nation Building
- Ghana in a Globalized World
- Public Administration in Ghana.
- Project Planning and Management
We envision a future where effective and accountable leadership facilitates and ensures sustainable development.
This vision, which is informed by the dream and vast experiences of H.E John Agyekum Kufuor, former President of the Republic of Ghana and founder of the John A Kufuor Foundation, is grounded in his conviction that good leadership holds the key to good governance and sustainable development in Africa.
The Kufuor Scholars Program has been established to serve as the vehicle for preparing and grooming young people of today to become transformational leaders of tomorrow for Ghana and Africa.
To prepare young people to become catalysts for sociopolitical and economic transformation through effective leadership in their chosen fields of endeavor.
The program is guided by the core values of transparency, accountability, equity, inclusion, fairness, and commitment to excellence.
The Kufuor Scholar is expected to place high premium on the following values: integrity, honesty, patriotism, nationalism, and commitment to ethical behavior at all times.
Goals of the Kufuor Scholars’ Program
The Kufuor Scholars Program has been designed to achieve the overarching and long-term goals of The John A. Kufuor Foundation, which are to promote:
- Effective Leadership: Recognizing the central role of leadership in the development of societies, the program seeks to prepare young people to become transformational leaders by offering specialized and programmed leadership training, mentoring and coaching, and experiential activities.
- Good Governance: The Scholars are nurtured to embrace good democratic governance as a developmental imperative and the framework for achieving social cohesion and peaceful co-existence.
- Socio-Economic Development: The Scholars are primed to be change agents who seek to transform the socioeconomic circumstance of Ghana and Africa and contribute to advancing the wellbeing of society.
The Kufuor Scholars Program has the overarching objective of mentoring a critical mass of future change agents; leaders imbued with a strong sense of patriotism; leaders who are innovative, problem solvers, creative thinkers and knowledgeable professionals in their respective fields of endeavor. These leaders will be trailblazers, whose hallmark will be both success and excellence in national development. Specifically, the program seeks to:
- Cultivate the next crop of transformational leaders; who are patriotic, selfless and community-oriented.
- Empower young scholars with ethical problem solving skills and creative thinking skills towards success in their respective careers and leadership roles for national development.
- Guide young scholars to become agents of social change for political tolerance, ethnic and religious co-existence, and national orientation for sustainable development.